A safety plan is an escape strategy, should someone need to leave an abuser quickly. Here are some tips:
- Create and practice an escape plan.
- Keep copies of important documents, an extra set of keys, change of clothing, medication, money and other necessities in a safe and accessible place, like at the home of a trusted friend.
- Tell trusted friends, family or neighbors to keep an eye out and call the police if they hear or see trouble.
- Choose a “safety word” that can clue friends and family in that you need help.
- Pinpoint public areas you can get to easily if a violent situation develops.
- Identify a safe place to stay like a shelter or house of a trusted friend or family member.
- If necessary, get an order of protection.